Monday 26 September 2011

You can't have Thanksgiving without Jet-Puffed mini marshmellows

The other week I was in the not so Wal-Mart sized sister store Asda searching aisle to aisle for marshmallows, the key ingredient to the all American summer time snack ‘smores. If you can even believe this, none of the Brits I know have had 'smores. Having been a chubby little camping girl scout I considered this a MAJOR crime)! As I impatiently marched down every single aisle in the entire store I began to have flashbacks of doing this same thing around this time last year…

 It was a week before Thanksgiving and I decided to have a huge Thanksgiving Day dinner at my little English cottage since I wouldn’t be able to make it home for my favorite All- American stuff your face till it hurts holiday. I invited all our friends and family and told them to expect a tasty USA turkey day! Since I had 20 people coming over to experience their first Thanksgiving I had to make sure everything was absolutely perfect with all the traditional dishes and pies. And no Thanksgiving dinner was complete without Jet-Puffed mini marshmallows.

However, when I went to do my big turkey shop I searched the store high and low scouring for any sign of white mini marshmallows. Not only does the UK not carry Kraft Jet- Puffed mini marshmallows, I couldn’t even find no name minis anywhere. The only thing Asda sold were strawberry flavored pink and white big marshmallows. That was it! That was the only option! And this just would not do. This could possibly ruin the perfect first Thanksgiving experience. So to the Internet I went in search of my mini marshmallows.

I eventually found a UK site called ‘American Foods in the UK’ which did not have a single bag of Kraft Jet-Puffed mini marshmallows but claimed to sell the All-American brand "Becky’s American Mini Marshmallows". Now I have never heard of ‘Becky’s’ but I needed those marshmallows so bad I was willing to get any as long as they were mini (and if they were American it could possibly make my Thanksgiving even more authentic).

35 pounds (or 50 dollars) later I was staring at 4 bags of jumbo marshmallows with arabic writing made somewhere in Europe! And to make matters worse Andy walked through the door with my turkey and 3 bags of British mini marshmallows costing a grand total of 3 pounds! Oops  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now as Thanksgiving approaches once again please update your trials and tribulations of life in the UK and your quest for all things American!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! Elyse, you are hilarious. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving this year!

    ReplyDelete